Water Damage Can Impact Port St. Lucie Residential Furnishings
SERVPRO Water Cleanup Restores Port St. Lucie Home Contents and Structural Materials
Home water removal can seem like a doable task for many Port St. Lucie homeowners. However, the effects of moisture on possessions and valuables can require more care than most consumer-grade cleaning solutions can provide. Worse still, without fast-responding sanitation, mold can grow and secrete digestive enzymes that create further damage to home furnishings.
Port St. Lucie water damage restoration technicians at SERVPRO are ready to render aid for homeowners dealing with excess moisture in their properties. Due to mold growth, water can turn from an inconvenient cleanup into a potential biohazard situation. SERVPRO mitigation tools and EPA-registered biocides can remediate risk to keep home occupants safe.
How Water Damage Affects Fabrics, Furniture, and Upholstery
Water damage can spell disaster for porous items like mattresses, cushions, linens, and fibers without fast action. Stains and water spots are just the beginning of potential damages. Microbial growth can set in within 24-48 hours.
- Water exposure can cause fabric dyes and furniture stains to bleed and seep into nearby objects and flooring
- Furniture frames can swell with water, warp, and eventually crack. Wood furniture can accumulate water spots. Some repairs may require refinishing
- Particleboard furnishings warp easily. The laminate surfacing is often resistant to moisture, but this does not prevent damage to the piece. Instead, this vapor barrier redirects water to more vulnerable crevices and joints
- Metals can tarnish and eventually rust, including mattress springs and the backs of upholstery tacks
While sanitation can be accomplished to some degree with homeowners’ cleaning products and equipment, professional-grade water mitigation solutions can restore these items more quickly while stopping the risk of further unintentional damage to property. Some treatments are better suited to particular materials than others. Some fabrics and items can prove incredibly delicate compared to wood furniture or non-porous furnishings.
SERVPRO Water Mitigation Protocols for Fibers and Furnishings
SERVPRO water damage restoration professionals utilize a suite of furniture restoration strategies for Port St. Lucie home furnishings. These include:
- Spot cleaning fabrics and nearby surfaces that show signs of stains from furniture stains and dyes. Alternative strategies may be necessary for addressing possessions with dried furniture stains on them
- Performing moisture extraction with a portable unit and upholstery tool
- Evenly wetting furniture during cleanup to restore the piece to an even color free of water damage spots and visible seams from moisture exposure
- Tenting wet furniture cushions before drying with air movers and dehumidification units
- Putting wax paper sheets between zippers and furniture cushions to minimize rust stain transfers to nearby fibers
SERVPRO water damage odor control can remediate malodors with a combination of sanitation and deodorizing solutions. Cleaning solutions can be injected into furnishings as needed to remediate internal contamination that can contribute to moisture odors. SERVPRO technicians can deploy ultra-low volume (ULV) foggers or spray solutions to eliminate odor-causing bacteria for large-scale odor control. Specialty cleaning needs can be referred to licensed professionals as needed and with the consent of homeowners and insurers.
SERVPRO of Port St. Lucie NE is reachable by phone at (772) 266-2350 at any time of the day or night, including weekends and holidays. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster, including water cleanup.